Sunday, July 5, 2009

Slow and Steady

Nothing too much to report. Ethan is about the same. They are slowly upping his diuretics. He still is sooooo puffy. They have been doing longer sprints on the ventilator (turning the settings down to almost zero for 90 minutes at a time). It is helping him to work harder to breath for short periods. He has been intubated for a month now and isn't used to having to work. The plan for tonight is to do two sprints over 3 hours each. The second sprint would end about 8am. If he is doing well at that point they will extubate. I am trying not to get my hopes up. He has been real fussy the past couple of hours. I think he may be letting us know he is not ready yet. We'll see!
It's been a nice 24 hours though. Ethan has been stable, thus Greg and I got to spend some time with the other kiddos (Thanks to the Grandparents). We enjoyed the 4th of July together with the Bench fam, attending my niece's baby blessing, and then brought the kids to the hospital this afternoon to see Ethan. We had been holding off bringing the kids down until he was off the ventilator, but we got sick of waiting. It was good for them to see him. Then we went to the heart unit playroom and played Shoots and Ladders for way too long (I came in last place every game, and Gage likes to rub it in my face!). But it was good times.
LOL-
Heidi

1 comment:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Still praying for Ethan, hoping he has done well with his rest periods. You are always in my thoughts. Hang on guys, it HAS to get easier! :)