Saturday, July 11, 2009

Gotta Love the Paci

So we didn't get to hold him, but I did get to lie down with him (thanks Jess). In a full size hospital bed, Ethan and his lines/equipment take up 2/3 of it. Leaving 1/3 of it for me. But that was quite all right!

Also Ethan got re-intubated through his nose. It was a tougher process than I was anticipating. But it has been great. He had 18 prn meds two nights ago(doses of pain meds on top of the insane amounts he is getting at a constant rate through his IVs). Last night he sucked his paci for comfort and had 1 prn med. You heard me, ONE!

The surgeon came in yesterday and talked to us about procedures that might have to be done if he doesn't turn the corner by mid week. I don't even want to mention them, it makes me to sick. But in the mean time he said he will never turn the corner on his own with those insane amount of drugs in his system. So I hope the change and ability to suck his paci for comfort will help.

Ethan is also peeing great. He is on the heavy hitters of diuretics, four of them I might add! But unfortuantely the swelling isn't coming down yet. Now that it looks like his comfort is going to be a little better, we need to pray for him to let go of all the fluids he is holding on to.

I had a few days full of lots of tears. We were beginning to wonder if he had the ability to turn the corner and heal or if his body was just too beaten down. Our team assured us he will turn the corner, but it is not going to be right away. It is going to take a long time they said. He is weak. But I KNOW and PRAY he will continue to have the strength his has shown so far. They say he has not followed the course of any of their recent LEFT HYPOPLAST patients, yet he has bounced back time and again. I am convinced he can do it! And I know the Lord is very aware of Ethan and our family at this time.

Love-
Heidi

3 comments:

The Tams Family said...

Heidi,

Oh I feel for you guys! I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. It should bring you great comfort that "the team" feels he will be okay. I put a lot of faith in that medical staff and the 1 major breakdown I had was when I could see in there eyes, words and faces that they weren't sure Addie was going to be okay. We had a family meeting which helped make sure we were all on the same page. Getting off those PRNS help tremendously. Were they paralyzing him? We lost about 3 1/2 weeks with her needing to be paralyzed EVERY 45 minutes! It's insane. To this day the only thing that works for Addie's pain is Tylenol! With all that good stuff out there... go figure! I'm sure that this week will be a much better one....praying for BIG STEPS!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I am in tears reading this. I just can't imagine what you guys are going through. I'm so glad that you were able to be near him, I know that he will feel his mom's love for him and it will help. What a fighter.

The Simmons Family said...

We continue to PRAY. Thank goodness for the paci. Hopefully the decrease in pain meds will help as well. It sounds like you are in confident hands and they are hopeful. I am surprised you have only had a few meltdowns. Praying!!

Andrea