Thursday, July 9, 2009

Frustrated

Sorry to take so long to report. Basically I have no news to report. He is still stable. The drying him out theory didn't work Wednesday. So they switched up the diuretics again and it seems to be doing the trick. So we are headed in the right direction there. Since he was unable to be dried out yesterday, they didn't work on weaning his ventilator today.

Ethan is "stuck". He really needs to turn the corner, but it is not happening. The diuretic improvement today should help. I keep telling myself to be more patient. He was soooooo sick for 3 weeks and had major surgery again (lungs). It is going to take time for him to get better. It is just so hard to watch patiently. He no longer responds to his sedation, hates the tube in his mouth, and gets more irritated when I try to comfort him. I think when I comfort him he is mad I am not taking the breathing tube out for him!!! Sorry dude.

Greg and I are struggling with his lack of progress and are well aware that the longer he is on the ventilator, the greater his chances of having more problems are. It is in the Lord's hands. We just pray He wants the same outcome as us!

4 comments:

The Tams Family said...

Hang in there! Believe it or not this will one day all be a distant memory....It was great seeing you yesterday and that was the first time being up there that I didn't picture Addie in one of the beds. It does get better....sometimes I even feel like we may actually have a somewhat normal life soon... It took 15 months, but we are finally getting there. It will get better!

Luke said...

Keep up your spirits. I know it can be hard to do at times, but he is a tough kid. The one thing that I remember going through my heart surgeries is that kids heal fast. One day there are sitting in the bed, the next they are out running around in the yard. I had prolonged episodes of being on the ventilator which caused narrowing of my airway due to scar tissue, but I had reconstructive throat surgery at 22 and everything seems to be holding up. It gave me a voice like Johnny Cash, so I can't complain to much I guess. I will keep your son in my thoughts and prayers.

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

I'm glad Ethan's still stable, but it must be so frustrating for you to feel like you're not getting anywhere. Hoping the increased diuretics do their thing, and help to dry him out a bit, so he can get rid of that nasty old vent tube. We're thinking of you all the time. With love X

The Ridgway Family said...

I am so sorry Heidi that it has to be so frustrating. I know how you feel and I am sorry. We continue to pray for Ethan and you and your family and I too pray that the Lord's plan is your plan for Ethan. You are a very good example to so many of faith and courage during a really tough time. May the Lord continue to comfort you and Greg and strengthen Ethan.

Love, Keisa