Monday, July 13, 2009

Looks Like Pneumonia

Ethan is still stable. We were enjoying higher oxygen sats (high for him anyway) during the weekend. But they dropped a little lower about 5am this morning. They also decided to start antibiotics due to the fever. It is a good thing. They suctioned his breathing tube and sent it for a culture yesterday and it is growing a bacteria consistent with pnemonia. The good news is it doesn't appear to be too bad, his white blood cell count is a only a little elevated and his chest x-ray doesn't look worse. So hopefully starting the antibiotics will nip it in the bud. So in other words, the plan is the same, but I am a little nervous he might take steps back from these new developments. But the team is determined to get him to turn a round this week! I think they know I might lose it if we don't see some progress. . . hospital psychosis is kicking in again! We have lived at the hospital for four months of his almost 5 months of life. Ugh! At least we have made some great friends along the way.

4 comments:

Molly Wright said...

Darned pneumonia! I'll see you tomorrow.

Sandi said...

Love you guys!! Always thinking of you. xoxo

Andrea Gunnell said...

My heart just sank when I saw the title. Poor Ethan (and parents). I'll be praying that he can turn the corner soon.

Hot Diggity Daws said...

I hope the pneumonia resolves quickly and Ethan gets to enjoy some real progress this week. Hugs.