Friday, July 10, 2009

Bonding Time

Ethan was very fussy last night. His sedation/pain meds do nothing for him now. During all this fussiness they tried weaning down the vent again. It wasn't happening. However, I think I have convinced them to re-intubate through his nose. He is always happier that way. Then he can self sooth more with his pacifier. He has been intubated through his mouth for over a month and has no way to calm himself down. Babies love to sooth themselves by sucking their fists or in Ethan's case, his pacifier. They have been hesitant to do so because they don't want to risk further damage to his airway during the reintubation process. But loading him up all day with narcotics that don't work can't be too good for him either. So hopefully that will happen today.

Also, they are going to let Greg and I HOLD him. It has been over a month as well. They also are going to rearrange things in his bed so I can lay in bed with him. Oh, I can't wait. Other than those two items, the plan is to let him rest over the weekend, make sure his body is balanced nutritionally and with his diuretics, and do a few small sprints to strengthen his lungs. Then we will re-evaluate things/extubation on Monday.

I must admit I am missing my kiddos. I look forward to spending some time with them over the weekend as well.

Much love-
Heidi

8 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I am so sorry Ethan is struggling. We are praying for you every single day. Hopefully with the intubation through the nose and a little cuddle time, Ethan will at least feel a little more comfortable. I'm sure you're desperatly wanting to bring him home and have your family together. I remember all too well how stressful it is to go back and forth to the hospital and try to balance your time. I wish there was something I could do. If there is, please let me know.

Praying and thinking of you all.

Andrea

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I am so thrilled that you get to hold him! That will make everything else much more bearable. Hopefully the plan works and he can move forward on Monday. I can't imagine practically living in the hospital like you are right now.

Sara said...

Thanks so much for all of the continuous updates. I am sorry that Ethan's progress seems slow right now...must be so frustrating for you all. It was fun to have Alexa over yesterday for a bit. What great kids you have!!!

Nicole said...

I was going to let you hold him last weekend, but I thought they might extubate him. I was trying to let him rest. I had already decided that you were going to hold him this weekend, whether or not they decided to try to extubate him. I know that's why he's been so sad. He just wants to be cuddled. See you this weekend.

Andrea Gunnell said...

I am also so sorry to hear that he is still struggling. We are constantly praying for him! I'm sure that it will feel good to have him in your arms again. It's so hard when they are attached to so many things, but it is better than nothing. It will also be nice to lay down next to him. I'm sure he will appreciate feeling you so close.

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

Thanks for updating your blog so often. I love (guess that isnt the right word) to check it daily
Im sorry so much is going on. I bet today will be SO great for everyone when you get to lay by him. Enjoy :)
And Im sure your kids will have just as much fun as you will with them!

Hang in there...you and your family have been and will continue to be in our prayers

Hot Diggity Daws said...

It sounds like you have made a great suggestion, I hope they get him changed so he can suck that pacifier the way he loves. He will be so comforted with you laying beside him. I am so glad you get to hold him.

francb53 said...

I am so happy to hear that you will be able to hold Ethan and snuggle up to him today. That is just the medicine that Ethan needs(and his parents too). Precious moments to be shared. If anything is going to help him turn the corner, it is your touch and the love you give Ethan. My prayers are with you. I can't wait to hear of him in your arms.
Love,
Francie