Monday, July 20, 2009

Fever & Extubation

Ethan is hanging in there. He still has a fever hanging between 100 & 101 degrees. His CT scan had no findings. So back to trying to figure him out. The only test that still grew something was the secretions from his ET tube. So the newest thought is that there is bacteria on his actual breathing tube that his body can't kill.

The good news is that his lungs are still looking great. The team has decided to continue with the sprints and work on weaning down the ventilator even though he has a fever. They are also going to lower his sedation and have a goal of trying to EXTUBATE him sometime TOMORROW! They are going to be aggressive with it and hope that the fever will subside with the tube out. I want the tube out so bad, but I felt sick to my stomach when they said this. It just makes me nervous. It is what Greg and I want (the tube out), but I am so afraid. I guess everytime I get my hopes up he ends up having a major setback.

I think I am fearing the fact that he won't tolerate being extubated and they will have to put the tube back in. . . Or worse, he will have airway issues and need a trache. Just afraid of the unknown. However, they won't extubate if he doesn't tolerate the weaning process. So we will see how he tolerates the next 24 hours?!*!
I need to call Greg, he is my optimist and will tell me how "Ethan is going to do great and be so happy the tube is out, so don't worry!" Where is my faith. . . I know he can do good, now I just need to believe it!

7 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I am PRAYING that the next 24 hours go smoothly and he trials off the vent like a champ!!!

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Hoping that Ethan will be a star over the next 24 hours, and that you'll soon be posting that his breathing tube is out. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers XXX

Lacey said...

Like Heather always tells me. Slow and steady wins the race. Hopefully he will let you know in his sprints if he's ready for the tube to come out. Come on Ethan!!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I totally understand your worry and concern. One thing I have had to learn to do is to trust the doctors, and that is so hard for me sometimes. I'm glad Ethan is in such good and knowledgable hands. I hope all will go well and as always, we will pray that his body will fight this and be strong!

Hot Diggity Daws said...

You do have the faith. You do know he can. I have been very impressed with your team. You just hate to get too excited. God knows all and he will help Ethan. Sending loves.

Jana said...

Your family is truly amazing. Praying for you here in Philadelphia.

francb53 said...

I continue to pray for Ethan to "turn the corner" and be back in your arms for all the cuddling time you wish. He is such a fighter! I have faith in him and in both of you. Your family has taught me more than you will ever know about love and compassion and patience. It is great news that his lungs are looking better. I know Ethan is in great hands and our Heavenly Father is watching over him and you.