Monday, June 29, 2009

Surgery Went Well

Ethan got back from surgery around 4pm. It started late and took twice as long as planned, but went well. Ethan did great, it just took longer to perform the procedures than planned. Since they were working on two sides of his chest and his back, there was a lot of moving involved. They have to re-prep and sterilize him every time they move him. He had scar tissue cleaned out of his pleural spaces, new chest tubes placed, a thoracic duct ligation, chemical pleuraldesis, and a new central line placed. (You can google any of those procedures listed above if you would like more details :) It will take up to 48 hours to really tell if the procedures are helping.

This surgery is nothing in comparison to his heart surgeries, but he sure looked banged up when they brought him back. It is never easy to see. But the funniest part about seeing him after ALL his surgeries is Greg. Daddy asks the same question EVERY time, "When can he get his foley catheter out?" (for those fortunate enough to not have experienced one, it is the catheter put into his pee-pee to collect his urine AND is the LAST thing anybody is concerned about. . .except daddy of course).

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

5 comments:

Life Unscripted said...

That made me laugh...the foley..but I can see where he is coming from for a daddy's POV...they are never fun, and Lily somehow always managed to push hers out...i think she was just showing them how much she truly hated them.

I am glad the proceedure went well, I hate when it takes longer then planned, because then you sit there biting your nails.

More prayers are being sent your way over these next couple days...well I should say, more prayers then what we normally say in the day. Mr. Ethan man is a fighter..he just needs some R&R now..and hopefully this latest trip to the OR was useful and proves successful.

Sending you our Heart Hugs, Loves and prayers

jenna, Lilyana, and the McLaughlin Clan

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Surgery always seems to take longer than anticipated. That was a ton of sterilization, but what a blessing that they are so careful!

Men always hate those foley catheters, too funny that daddy is always anxious to see that go.

Another thing I find funny is how bonkers people get about getting their iv out. I am far too desensitized, and knowing it's best if the patient has one I find myself thinking, come on you've been through a million worse things, what's the big deal with an iv harmlessly sitting there a couple hours?

When I had an iv with my first kid, I was the one asking "So when can I get this out!" Human nature I suppose.

Sounds like they made very thorough use of the surgery time.

We will keep the prayers coming!!!!

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

So glad the surgery went well - we were thinking of you all. Hoping little Ethan recovers quickly, and that the surgery does the trick and sorts out his effusions. Keeping you all in our thoughts, with love X

The Simmons Family said...

It breaks my heart that he is going through so much. Hopefully he'll get LOTS of rest over the next few days and heal up. I'll pray that all these procedures did the trick.

I have to laugh at Greg because I do the SAME thing. I watched them cath Owen in the ER when he got sick between the Norwood and Glenn and my heart BROKE. Since he's not circumcised, it looked that much worse. Now, I beg them to take it out.

Praying.

Anonymous said...

Having watched Rudy go through pleurodesis, we'll be praying for Ethan and you during this recovery. As our heart kids have such major stuff to contend with, it's kind of frustrating when seemingly little things (like fluid draining) become such a focus. Putting him through another surgery had to be a tough decision, but add that to the list of challenges we've had to watch these little warriors endure even when we wish they don't. We'll pray this will put the breathing stuff behind you once and for all.

For the record, this dad is strongly anti-foley. Little boys should be able to swing wild and free so they can soak down the toilet seat on a whim. Stay tough--smile when you can.

Peace,

Rolf