Thursday, June 18, 2009

A little more progress

After waiting all day to go for the CT scan, they decided not to do it. His surgeon feels he is heading in the right direction now. Ethan will still get a scan in the next couple of days, but he thought it will give us a better picture of how his heart and lungs are doing if things don't looked obscured from the infection. If his infection was still causing trouble the CT could give insight to that, but since its not they will wait and then get a scan that will be able to focus more on his pleural spaces and help them make some decisions on how to move forward with his "original" lung issues(effusions) and collaterals. I am extremely tired and have no idea if that makes sense. . . but thats the plan.

Ethan is OFF the nitric! They want to wean him off the vent by tomorrow. However we have a small problemo. . . his effusion on his right side is growing. Bummer. So they will try to wean the settings, but he may need a right chest tube tomorrow if his diuretics don't reduce it soon. Thus he may not tolerate being weaned all the way off til that problem is better. The other bummer is the ouput/chylous from his left chest tube has DOUBLED today. Where is this stuff coming from?!#*?

But overall one thing is for certain, Greg and I have been graced with Ethan's presence for another day. . . for that our family is grateful. I am learning to enjoy life a day at a time!

One last note-
I am so blessed to have an amazing husband/father at my side every step of the way. . . Happy 10th babe!

3 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Happy Anniversary you guys. I am glad that there is progress although it is slow. Your attitude is really strengthening me with our own issues and I'm thankful for that.

The Simmons Family said...

Poor Ethan... he needs to catch a break. I thought Owen's chest tubes were NEVER going to stop draining after the Glenn ... THREE weeks of draining. Blah. PRAYING that he'll be outta there soon and OFF the vent again even sooner.

Was yesterday your 10 year anniversary?? HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! It was our 10 year as well.. so I guess we share that day. :)

Andrea

Heidi Ann said...

I don't know why you, your family, and little Ethan must endure this painful, exhausting trial but I do know that he is worth every tear, sleepless night, and every bit of agony you go through. And as weird as it may sound I know you wouldn't trade it. While Ethan is chosen and special so are you!