Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Busy Bee

Ethan continues to keep the staff busy. At least they have been really good about giving Ethan nurses that know him and adore him. They are great to Greg and I also. So it was another day, another new chest tube, another new art line, and even more chylous output. We passed the 600mL mark in this 24 hours!
Greg and I had a "team" meeting with the docs and nurse practitioners this afternoon. We wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page and going in a direction Greg and I were comfortable with. It was a good meeting.

They decided to put in a chest tube on his right side. He has had fluid on that side for over a week, but not a lot. They finally decided it wasn't going away and it wouldn't hurt to get rid of it. They have stopped feeding him through his abdomen and are only going to feed him via his IV's. Trying to eliminate ALL the fat he is getting. He is also getting constant blood products. They are to help replace everything he is dumping out in his chest tube. If stopping the feeds doesn't decrease his chest tube output drastically with in the next few days, then he will get a procedure this weekend or Monday to try and stop it.

Ethan is also going to get a big dose of tPA tomorrow. It is a potent blood thinner/clot dissolver. They are hoping to rid his clots. It has potential to cause internal bleeding and or bleeding from all his incisions. Please pray it works and doesn't cause more problems.

The good news is they are going to start trying to wean him off the ventilator tomorrow if he stays stable tonight. Oh how bad Greg and I want to see that tube out of his mouth and hold him again.
Thanks for the love-
Heidi

4 comments:

The Kriloff Klan said...

Greg & Heidi,
My name is Jennifer (Davis) Kriloff. I grew up with Greg & his family in the Groves Ward. I have been following along with your sweet family. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I want you to know that I think of you often & pray for your Ethan & your family. Having children in the hospital is an awful thing & I feel for you. My three children combined have been admitted over 25 times. Our 2nd son underwent brain surgery this past October. It is soo hard & I am sorry!

Hang in there & draw close to one another it is the only way that we have made it through! Know that you are in our prayers!

With love,
Jennifer

Hot Diggity Daws said...

It definitely helps to understand and be confident in the plan of care. Be strong and we will keep praying for success with these latest endeavors to advance and get the little guy off the vent and chest tubes. Be strong Ethan, you are doing great buddy. Let me know if there is EVER anything I can do!

Sandi said...

We sure do love you guys. Ethan is such a stronge little man. I can't wait to come see you and him tomorrw. We pray for you guys often and want you to know that Ethan is VERY VERY blessed to have such strong parents and ALL the MANY MANY others that care and love him more than words can describe. Love you so much and see you soon. Stay strong Ethan boy!! xoxo Sandi

Andrea Gunnell said...

I sure think about you often and am always excited to read an update on how Ethan is doing. I'm sorry about the setbacks he's been having. Prayers are constantly coming your way.