Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Spoke too soon

So I posted that Tuesday was uneventful. And it was, but by 1am Wednesday things had changed. They had increased his nisiritide for a second time and he wasn't having it. He vasodialted (blood was hanging out in his arms and legs more) thus his glenn circulation wasn't getting good enough blood flow. They did a blood gas and could tell he was in distress even though he wasn't showing it. He was just lethargic and not responding to their ususal torture tactics. They turned off the nisiritide and he began to turn around.

Greg and I both slept at home last night. Greg had left Ethan around 10pm and said he looked good (that was before they increased his med). So at 3am my phone rang. I flew up to answer it. And yes, I can't go to bed at my own home with out having my cell and home phone right next to me. It was a better conversation that it could have been. . . but it still started with "Heidi, this is Dr. Underwood. About 1am. . ." and she proceeds to tell the story. We talked for quite a while. She insisted I didn't need to come. I thought it would be better if I tried to get some more sleep and come in after I got my kids off. I was wrong. I couldn't sleep and I was anxious to get my kids off. And when I got here he was clinically fine, but still looked crappy. Plus they had to sedate him to do another new art line. So as you can guess. . . I had a breakdown.

The docs and nurses rallied around and apologized and said don't give up on Ethan (same pep talk my wonderful husband gives me when I am losing it) . He has been slowly but surely progresssing. They said that last nights event was completely their fault. They shouldn't have increased the nesiritide that much. They knew it could cause that effect. They said it was not a significant setback and he was looking really good (not). However, within a few hours he did start looking better and by this evening he was looking great. I sat and played with him and he interacted with me so well.

Ethan was grabbing at things, chewing on his thumb (he will for sure have his 2 bottom teeth before Friday), and back to giving dirty looks to the nurses every time they assess him and push on him. That's my boy! He is known for the dirty looks he gives them. He continues to show so much expression through those beautiful slate blue eyes of his. I love this little boy, I just have such a hard time watching him struggle. I can handle all the swelling and issues in the world if he is just interacting and acting "himself".
Love-
Heidi

10 comments:

Sandi said...

I am so glad to hear he is back to his sweet self tonight! He is such a strong boy! And yes...I LOVE those SLATE BLUE EYES too!!! Love you guys sooo very much. See you soon. xoxo

Andrea Gunnell said...

I'm so glad to hear that he is back to himself. Sorry to hear about last night's events. I continue to think about and pray for you guys!

Lindsay said...

Oh wow Heidi. What a day! I can't imagine. I'm glad that by the end of the day you got to have some fun with him and he's doing well again!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

Im so sorry. I think I say the same thing everytime! but I am so sorry! I cant imagine what you go through everyday, min by min.
Glad things got better though...Im sure not getting great sleep is super hard too...messes with your thoughts and feelings even more.

The Burkinshaws said...

We pray for your family every night! You are way better and stronger than you think! Keep your head up God already knows you can!

maggie said...

What is the nisiritide supposed to do for him? I'm so sorry for all the "downs" when things start looking "up". I know you just want him to be comfortable. As always thoughts and prayers are always with you and your family.
Love,
Maggie

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Heidi, I saw your mom last night at Jessica's shower and we were all asking so much about how you were doing. I'm so sorry for this stressful time for you. I can't imagine getting a phone call like tha in the middle of the night. Ethan is such a little fighter. He is so strong and has gone through so many setbacks but survived so well! All of us "Karrens" are thinking and parying for your family. Love you.

The Simmons Family said...

Oh Ethan Buddy...

We want you to get better. We want to see you come home. We pray that you will have no more "surprises." I'm glad that last night was a better one. Here's to many more GOOD nights so that you will be FREE from hospital lockdown.

Melodie said...

Heidi, I'm sitting here at 2:31am crying my eyeballs off for poor little Ethan. Your story about his dirty looks (although funny), just had me weeping at what a little trouper he is. He doesn't deserve this (and neither do you).

I missed seeing u last night at the mtg, and I had to rush home to relieve Todd otherwise I woulda stopped upstairs & said hi. I will be in clinic on Tues and I'll for sure stop by for a short visit.

Todd asks me frequently: "How's Ethan doing?", cuz he knows I check on this.I know it doesn't need to be repeated, but u and your family are in my family's thoughts and prayers.

Alysa Cruse said...

I remember those dirty looks like they were yesterday!