Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hanging in there. . .





So a week has really past. We made a whole week at home! I still can't believe it. Although I admit a lot of the time (like in the middle of the night) that it has felt like the longest week ever. But all in all, it has passed quickly. The kids are hanging in there. I was able to attend of few of my kids activities this week (baseball game, tumbling recital, and Mark's b-day party). It was much needed bonding time. It was also much needed for my mental health. Greg also took Gage and Cannon to the Father and Son campout for our church. They loved it.

Greg or I have to always be home with Ethan to do his care. . . which means we don't get to spend too much time together. I appreciate that he is willing to help so much though! Our conversations are quite technical these days. Its about formula mixtures and vomitting, weight gain, labored breathing, oxygen needs, meds, suctioning, how precious he is, etc (and by the way I will be having a huge bonfire to burn the suction machine and humidifier compressor whenever Ethan gets his trache out!!!) Greg has never had a stomach for the medical side of things, but I have been amazed at how well he has taken to it since Ethan has been born.

On Thursday Ethan had to spend the day on the heart unit. Dr. Cleveland had to remove his central line (broviac). It had been in since surgery and these kind usually have to be cut out, so they sedated him. He did very well and we were discharged in the afternoon. Ever since then he has been a little fussy. I think his leg is a bit sore. Tonight he seems to be breathing a bit harder too. Oh how I wish I had a magic wand that could make him feel great and wipe that concerned look off his face.
I also wish that magic wand could give me a full time nanny and a clean house :) Tonight at Mark's b-day party we took pictures with some fellow heart moms and nurses from the unit. I must say. . . It is a club I never wanted to be in, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. They are awsome!


Much love-
Heidi

3 comments:

Dennison Family said...

Wow, you are FAST at blogging! Congrats on the 1 week mark! That is wondeful!! I'm glad you have been able to spend time with your other kiddos. I'm sure they love it. Good job!!
It was so fun seeing you today! You look amazing and your kids are adorable. I can hardly wait to see the photos!

Andrea Gunnell said...

Oh how I remember those first few weeks after bringing Kyson home from his first surgery. I seemed to stress about every little thing he did always wondering if he was ok or if he was hurting. I definitely relied on a lot of priesthood blessings and a lot of prayers.
I'm glad to hear you are getting out and finding a little time to spend with your kids. I hope your also finding at least a few moments for yourself.
I still think about you often and I'm always praying for your family.

Sara said...

You are incredible Heidi. I actually have always known that, but you continue to amaze me with all you can do. Thanks so much for the donation to my run. Hope to see you all soon.